We’re sure in the thick of it now! Week 14, ladies and gentlemen, and it’s going to be another short blog because I haven’t really done a lot this week, unfortunately! Work was just awful, so a lot of days I was coming home and didn’t really have the energy to move as much as painting with a paint brush allows, but it did mean I got to finish Legion, which was a stunning book that I can highly recommend to anyone looking for a good book set in the Warhammer universe.
So, what have I been doing this week? Marines! Let’s start with the ongoing Novamarine project…
These guys are not turning out as I’d hoped, though the important thing to note here is that they are turning out, all the same. Most of the stuff this week has been the metallics, which never seems to turn out as nicely on a white undercoat as it does on black. I’m probably going to have to give them another coat, at least, but slowly these chaps are getting there. I feel a bit more confident doing the eyes now than I was last time – particularly important on the white side, after all! – so after these, I moved on to the other five Ultramarines that I have on the table!
These chaps have been drybrushed Chronus blue, then washed with Drakenhof Nightshade, which has made the picture turn out a lot darker than they currently appear. The four chaps along the back have then had the eyes of their helmets painted and shaded, so already there’s not a lot else left to do now! The captain out front – Uriel Ventris, if you remember! – is another story. I have still not really attempted to paint Caucasian skin yet, so I’m a bit nervous about trying it out here. But I’ll just give it a go and see what happens. Stay tuned for that, anyway!
I’ve also done some work on the two dreadnoughts that I have on going from last week. The Novamarines dreadnought is annoying me, particularly the quartered greave there, which just looks silly. But that’s what the official scheme looks like, so… yeah! I don’t quite know what to do with all of the white – I’ve experimented on the power fist painting a thin coat of Nuln oil over it, which I’m then going to try to overbrush with Ceramite white to pull it back, but hopefully leave the depth there, etc. Stay tuned for that!
The Ultramarines Venerable Dreadnought is just slow-going, with the gold bits painted and shaded, but nothing else to report as yet. I’ve already drybrushed the main body as I did the tactical marines, so in theory it should be well on the way, but I just don’t know at the moment…
To try to alleviate some of these worries I’ve been having, then, I have begun to work on something new! Yes, my dining table still has some space remaining, I must fill it! I bought the Treeman Ancient miniature back when I was first getting into the hobby, as it’s a beautiful model and I had been inspired by the videos on the GW youtube channel, but had always been really put off by how fiddly he looks. Well, having done eight dryads, with four more waiting in the wings, I’ve been thinking a lot about building him up and giving it a go, as the winter scheme I’ve gone for with them is really quite easy to do. Obviously, it’ll require more of an effort for such a centrepiece model, but I’m really looking forward to trying it! Stay tuned for that one, anyway!
I seem to have done so many marines of late, I feel it’ll be nice to change the pace again soon. I’m hoping I can get a lot of these things finished in time for the anniversary next weekend, then maybe look at doing something different, maybe some Stormcasts or Ogres. In doing the golds on the Ultramarines dreadnought, I used the paint left on the palette to make a start on basecoating the Protector-Prime that I’ve had hanging about for a long time, so it might be sooner rather than later!
I’m also really excited to start work on yesterday’s Seraphon, as well!
One thought on “Hobby Progress, week 14”