What a week, indeed! Work has been fairly insane, on top of which I’ve been trying to get ahead with the degree. I’ve moved on to the Romans, and have actually spent a pretty interesting afternoon reading up on the political organization of the late Republic! So anyway, yeah!
In game terms, this week has been pretty exciting, too! It’s been all about the Necrons, of course, as we were working up to the Codex release today. Very exciting times!!
So this little bundle of awesome happened…
The army box, The Tomb Awakened, is actually pretty good value. £115 for the box, for six kits that would cost £142.50 to buy separately. And not a hideous Warrior in sight! Fabulous. I’m not entirely sure about that new Overlord, as he does look a little, well, weird. But really, I felt like I couldn’t let this weekend pass without investing in him! Up next at the Harlequins, which I’m not entirely fussed about, so having a couple of quiet weeks will be very welcome!
There are some extra bits in the picture above, of course, including a Toxicrene that I wanted to get back in November upon release, and finally made the jump after reviewing some of the tutorial videos last weekend.
I really love these videos, I have to say, they’ve really helped me over the months since I started painting miniatures. I’d been making some notes to help me with the Ogres I’ve got going on. I’m planning to paint this chap in the colours of Hive Fleet Eumenides, anyway!
I also got my Ogre Ironguts. Basically Ogres with great weapons, these chaps had excited me until I got home today – don’t get me wrong, they’re still pretty awesome-looking, but they’re more an upgrade kit for the Ogres box than an actual separate entity, with four guys on the same sprue-set, but with an additional two-sprue upgrade. I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do with them, of course, but I felt like it’d have been better if they were more special.
On the subject of Ogre Kingdoms, I’m still going with those two Mournfang Cavalry and the two Ogres I’ve been working on for a while now. This is how they were looking last weekend:
I’m particularly pleased with how well these stone clubs have turned out, which is one of the reasons I’m looking forward to the great weapons, as I’d like to give that a go on a bigger scale! Following all those GW videos I watched, I decided to give the actual Mournfang a try:
I went with a grey scheme, with a basic lighter-belly scheme. While it looked fine at the basecoat stage, I was a bit nervous about doing anything more to it, having never painted fur before. After nearly a week, I finally got round to dry-brushing and shading, and I must say, it’s not actually half bad, even if I do say so myself! Next up, the horns! However, I also built up some more Ogres last week, as we had a nice day for priming – yes, I think I’m well and truly obsessed with this now: when the sun shines, I think of priming models!
Some exciting stuff coming here, I must say!
So I’ve got these guys built up, and I’m again at something of an impasse, as I’m not entirely sure what to do to finish them off. I mean, I’ve got the skin done, I’ve done the hair (I think), and I’ve got the armour painted, but I don’t really know what I want to do with it. To be honest, I almost feel like I’ve got too many options, especially for the weathering and whatnot. Right now, I’m thinking I might just take it one model at a time, rather than all four at once.
In case you’re interested (ah, who am I kidding – of course you’re interested!), here’s a record of my Ogres posts over on my tumblr: