Well, as you can possibly tell from the title here, I’ve spent the afternoon painting another miniature. This is the Chaos Beast from FFG’s Battlelore 2nd Edition, and one that I’ve been interested in painting since I started getting the idea to paint stuff. Voila!
I’m kinda pleased with this one. In particular, I’m pleased with my drybrush on the tail and spines – I think I’ve got the technique down now, anyway. The layering effect isn’t really all that good, though the top of the head isn’t so bad. I did try to cheat though, to be honest, and only used one rather than two. Apparently the layer paints are designed to work in two phases, so I went back in with Wazdakka Red. I re-washed the layered areas with the Crimson, and it did help to tone it down a little, then glazed over with Bloodletter to help blend all of these together.
Still, it’s a lot better than my first attempt, I think!
For the base, I used Blackfire Earth, and drybrushed with some Underhive Ash, before adding two tufts of Mordheim Turf to it. Not sure if the turf looks weird or not, but anyway. My intention was to have the impression of a slightly chalky ground that the Chaos Lord is almost sinking into because of his size and weight.
Overall, as the second-ever miniature I’ve painted, I’m quite impressed with it. Still not entirely happy with the highlighting on the hands, but I’m not known for my steady hands! But yeah, not too bad, I’d say!